Sunday, December 09, 2007


We were just in Sydney for 8 days.

We managed to see quite a bit considering how lazy i am and how pregnant Celeste is. if we walked more than 5-10 minutes straight we would take a few minutes rest. that actually worked out well most of the time, it allowed us to take in more of our surroundings. the weather was not ideal. it was quite warm and humid (as Sydney is expected to be), but it was also cloudy a lot with some rain and thunderstorms (as is less common this time of year).

It was a bit stunning for me to finally be in Sydney. Of course the city probably first entered my consciousness because of the Opera House. According to Wikipedia, the first planning for the Opera House was way back in the late 40s (slightly before my time) but building did not begin until 1959. The Opera House was completed and opened in 1973. As I was only six at the time, I am assuming I did not become aware of it until a bit later. It was definitely part of my awareness for a long time and I could never have imagined I would be standing next to it in person. Looking across the harbour at it the magnificent structure led me to ponder the paths of my life that brought me there.

We also took a ferry ride around the harbour, a lot of incredible buildings built along the shore. Many many multi million dollar homes. We went to a wildlife centre and an aquarium. Ate dinner at a private club overlooking the harbour and the Lowenbrau restaurant. Spent the weekend in Kiama famous for its ocean blowhole. Had a couple of great meals there as well. We were both stunned by the size and beauty of the pelicans hanging around a harbour restaurant. Sydney is also home to one of the few Lindt Chocolates Cafes in the world. Unfortunately (and quite rarely) I was not much in the mood for sweets when we visited so I settled for a scoop of Lindt ice cream. We also spent a day at Manly beach, quite touristy with lots of young beautiful people which made me feel old and made Celeste feel gigantic :-P Had a delicious vegetarian lunch at a local all natural cafe.

All in all I think we both enjoyed the trip quite a bit.

Since being back I have been a bit overwhelmed catching up with email and phone messages. Did manage to attend the Massey-Wellington X-mas Party and also an X-mas lunch with the DVC's office.

We have about 8.5 weeks until our little boy's due date! We really need to buy him a bed :-)

Anika Moa is playing at the San Francisco Bath House tonight, I would like to go to the show, but do not know if I can justify the cost and don't know if my laziness will win out.


C L Rousseau said...

glad you enjoyed our sydney holiday! who knows when the next one would be! :)

Anonymous said...

The baby can always sleep in a dresser drawer for a while ... no rush!