Sunday, May 07, 2006

Hi, here I am. New Zealand, Wellington, Karori, Monaghan Ave., in my room, on my computer tapping! Arrived safe and sound on Friday morning after many hours in airports and on airplanes. Picked up by Mon a friend of the couple I'm staying with who is also familiar with Let from an e-group for filipino/nz expats. He drove me to the house where Didith was on her way out but had left us breakfast waiting on the table.

We ate breakfast and Mon left to go about his day. I just sat around for awhile trying to get my bearings. After a bit I decided I should walk down to the main Karori street (Karori Road) and find my post office/bank. Went and did that, had to finish the opening of my account that I had begun back in NYC. Also went to a convenience store to buy myself a soda and a chocolate bar :-D, things haven't changed much.

That first night Didith and Clark planned on taking me to meet the filipino community but I was not feeling quite up for it and begged off. My stomach was protesting all of the adjustments and I decided it was best to just rest for the night.

So, yesterday afternoon a friend was having a house warming party and that was my coming out party for the filipino community here. The house is very cute, all the people I met very nice. Getting my ears more accustomed to hearing Tagalog (why else would I move to NZ than to learn Tagalog :-P)? It was a great night of beer, food, laughing, singing (even me!!!).

Then we came home and I was asleep by about 10 and didn't get up until after 10:30! A long long night of sleep.

This afternoon I am joining a trip to the coast to see a seal colony. That should be fun as well. Then tomorrow I must start working on the job search and getting to know Wellington a little better.

It feels a little bit unreal still. But I also feel very lucky to have landed with these very friendly, welcoming people who have been most helpful during my first few days. Next step is Let having her interview and getting her to join with all the other filipinos here in Wellington.

I miss all of my US friends already!

jon

1 comment:

penguindevil said...

Hey! Jonno!

Glad you made it alright, but where are the Pictures?! Lemme see!